Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dr. Molly...and a prayer

Last week Lucy and I met with Dr. Molly..her Gastrointestinal Doctor.

1. Lucy screamed something terrible when I laid her on the table to undress her. All was needed was weight and measurement, but she lost it! I think that is what I will have to look forward to.

2. Lucy hasn't gained weight since the beginning of November. awesome. I always get the impression that I haven't been doing what I need to do to help her gain weight.

3. They finally took my suggestion of increasing the calories in her formula. So we now are using a new formula...actually its a pediatric drink. So far so good...

4. After talks about reflux and constipation {Lucy SUFFERS from both} We finally got to the elephant in the room...Lucy not eating. 

5. I admitted to "feeding" {coating the spoon in flavor...nothing on the spoon}Lucy gravy. Dr. Molly was totally OK with that! 

6. I cried...yep the mother who is suppose to have it all together, lost it in the Dr's office. I just felt so frustrated by Lucy's lack of "eating" the tears came spilling out. 

7. This is what she had to say...regarding the crying and not eating.. 

a. Lucy will have feeding problems for a long time. 
b. however that doesn't mean she won't be able to take food by mouth..
c. We have to TEACH her...which is so unbelievably hard. 
d. We need to try ALL consistencies of food in a swallow study . Dr. Molly and Lucy's feeding therapist Shelley will figure out the best way to do this..We need her to pass on ANYTHING...

8. Shelley called yesterday asking when I would like to schedule the swallow study..I am so nervous..if she doesn't pass on something..I'm pretty sure I will be crushed. 

9. oh...and getting her to cooperate in the swallow study will be...unpleasant. She still has an aversion to all things near and in her mouth!! 


ok..enough of the list, now on to prayer...

I believe in the power of prayer. I have seen it do miraculous things in my life. I am aware that many people,some I don't know, are praying for Lucy. Please keep praying for her and have faith in your prayers. I KNOW the only way we will pass this next test is prayer and faith. 


1 comment:

Jamie said...

We always pray for Lucy, even Duncan and Colin pray for her. Yes faith is the only way through. Remember what the Savior said in Mark 5:36 "Be not afraid, only believe". This is so true.
We love you!!!!